Any backpacking food ideas for a celiac?

I have celiac disease (very very sensitive to gluten) and have a dairy intolerance, so finding food on the trail is generally super difficult for me. This actually held me back from hiking for a long time, but I’ve managed to overcome some of those fears in the last couple of years. I’ve been able to get by with a lot of planning - making sure I know where all of the supermarkets are and what I can get from them.

For the West Highland Way, I want to pack my own food for the whole trip, both for peace of mind and to see how it goes. I’ve got some ideas of food that I want to pack, but I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hello Oz! I have a backpacking buddy that also has celiac. When we go out, we shift our meals toward cured meats, hard cheeses (wrap them up!), dried fruits (dehydrators are worth the investment), and chocolate. While less compact than my typical setup, I loved it. Good fuel and it was tasty. Beware though if you’re entering bear country as cheese and meat are quite odorous. You can also find a variety of gluten-free bars out there to supplement your meals. Hope this helps!

Thanks Bobby! That is helpful indeed. On my next trip, I’m going to experiment with dehydrated meals - I’ve never really had them before so I’ll see how that goes. Alongside those, I’m planning on taking some cured salami and a gluten-free oatmeal mix.

Have you done much dehydrating yourself? I’ve been thinking of getting one after being recommended it by multiple people.

Yeah, we have two dehydrators so we can produce large quantities at a time. Our dry climate here means we can do it quite quickly too. We’ve mostly done fruit — bananas are super easy and delicious. Mango is fantastic. For strawberries and blueberries, I’ve had mixed results. Fruit also rehydrates well (good for your oatmeal) and is super lightweight. Great for road trips and travel too!

1 Like

I would suggest trying biltong, it is expensive, but nutrient dense protein source. Probably better than potato ships :slight_smile:

1 Like

very good shout… I need to get some Biltong