West Highland Way

@jacksmith and I are planning to do the West Highland Way in April and I just cannot wait! I’m sure we’ve all been depressed with the state of the world recently, and I for one just can’t wait to get back out into nature. Even though I’m from the UK, I’ve never actually been to Scotland before so this feels more like an overseas trip :smiley:

Anyone done the West Highland Way? Any tips / advice that you can share?

I’ve done the WHW a couple of times now, seriously love it - amazing scenery and you can meet lots of like minded people along the way.

I do have a few tips:

• April / May is definitely the best to time to go, the midges are awful in the summer months. You should still expect midges to be around, the only thing that really stops them is to cover up your skin, a head net is a must. I haven’t found a repellant that works, although some of the locals swear by Avon so soft.
  • Some of the more obvious / written about wild camping spots can be pretty busy. There are a couple advantages to avoiding those spots; a better night sleep (one of the nice things about wild camping is finding a nice private spot to chill out) also you tend to avoid the ‘bubble’ - the WHW is very popular and you can get stuck in a big bubble of people. Camping a few miles before or after these spots can really help. Some of the more popular spots include Kings House Hotel, Bridge of Orchy, Inveroran Hotel.
  • Highly recommend stopping at either The Drovers Inn or Beinglas Farm for dinner, both serve proper hearty Scottish hiking food. Also worth stoping MacDonald campsite in Kinlochleven for food.
  • Theres plenty of good running water along the route, take a filter (Sawyer / Katadyn) and don’t carry too much water.
  • There are a quite a few places to resupply / a good number of pubs along the route, you shouldn’t need to carry more than a couple of days of food at a time.
  • There’s no where I know of in Milngavie (pronounce Mil-guy) that sells camping gas, if you’re flying up you’ll need to pick gas up in Glasgow before heading to Milngavie.
  • It might be worth giving yourselves a couple of days at the end to climb Ben Nevis, depending on what state your legs and feet are in!
  • It’s almost impossible to get lost on the trail, although it’s sensible to bring a map / guidebook to see what’s coming up, you wont need one for navigation.
2 Likes

Thanks for the tips Nick this is great stuff