What tent are you using?

I’m on the market for a new tent - especially one that I can get in Europe without too much hassle and one which can hold up in wind and rain. Interested to see what others are using.

I absolutely love my Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1 – after going through many other options, this one just seems to last, keeps me dry, and makes me smile every time I set it up after dark and I don’t feel miserable. Not sure about Europe availability, and there are other options I’ve had my eye on if the Big Agnes ever shows signs of wearing out… but super happy for now.

1 Like

Oh interesting, that is actually availalble for us in the UK from this store

I’ve got my eye on the Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL2. I’ve gone through some reviews and youtube videos and it seems like a popular choice with thru-hikers. That store I linked to is annoyingly out of stock and they’re the only stockists I know of in Europe, so I may not get the chance to get it before my next hike :confused:

Have you found the copper spur to have enough room? What is your height (if you don’t mind me asking)?

I’m 5’ 10" (178 cm) and… wide. Plenty of room and comfort for me. In most three-season hiking I put my backpack in the foot area of the tent and sleep with my feet up on it, which works for me, with my shoes outside the tent; in super-cold weather if I’m in a few extra layers and sleeping bag liner sometimes I’ll have to have my backpack outside in the snow, but still comfortable inside.

Also might be worth mentioning that I used to use a tyvek ground cloth all the time with previous tents, and used it for the first season I had the Big Agnes. Forgot it one weekend trip, ended up pitching tent on snow with no ground cloth, and was comfortable enough (not thrilled, but comfortable enough) to never carry a ground cloth again. I’m not sure I’d do that with a lighter tent, so for me at least looking at future options I’d sometimes be comparing Big Agnes vs, say, Zpacks + ground cloth, which is much less favorable to Zpacks than just comparing tents alone.

Yeah, that’s a good point about the ground cloth. I have one which is about 200 grams, so it does make a difference to the overall weight. Really considering getting that tent now! Thank you for the info, really appreciate it.

I’ve got a couple of tents on the go at the moment; got a Zpacks Duplex and a Tramplite shelter.

I’ve used the Duplex for a good few miles, absolutely love it - insanely light, very roomy, super easy to setup. Despite not using a ground sheet and pitching on some rough ground I’ve had no issues with the durability of DCF. The mesh however has a fair few larger holes in it caused by pitching long / ready grass. My only real complaint is condensation, but that’s an issue with any single wall shelter - the nice thing about DCF is it doesn’t absorb and water and dries super fast.

I got the Tramplite late last year so I’ve only had one night in it, seems like a great four season tent - super well designed and made, feels like it would survive a bomb strike.

1 Like

I’m using a Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL3. It was the lightest tent I could find around me and has worked pretty well. The material feels flimsy but has remained in good condition. It’s more of a 3 season tent and I wouldn’t use it in winter months.

The packed weight is 2lb 15oz / 1.33kg. Although it’s a 3 person tent, it fits 2 people including backpacks comfortably.

I do use a ground cover with the tent, but I use one that I found on sale that is roughly the same dimensions (don’t remember the brand). It helps keep the tent bottom from getting wet cause you can really feel it through the thin material.

1 Like

I am using the ‘Nemo Hornet 2p’. It is a nice tent and fits one person and a backpack. I also use a ground cover which makes the whole thing weigh a bit more than a kilo. The only thing I don’t like about it :slight_smile: When using the ground cover, the whole bottom becomes very slippery and when you are located on not a 100% flat surface, you will start sliding while sleeping…Maybe I have to find a ground cover which has some grip or texture.

https://www.snowleader.es/es/hornet-2p-NEMO00044.html

2 Likes

Ah, nice @adriaanb. How have you found it in wet/windy weather? I read a couple of reviews which suggested that it didn’t hold up too well but interested to see how it’s been for you.

(The reviews were here Nemo Hornet 2P Tent | UK | Ultralight Outdoor Gear)

When doing the GR20 we used this tent from Quechua
Although we didn’t expect much, as it comes at a low price, it held up perfectly.
It is light, cheap and big. It got us through lots of rain and strong wind, furthermore it’s big enough to fit two backpacks, so they stayed dry as well.
Until now, it is perfectly fine, but we just used it for this one trip (17 days), so I can’t say if it will last for a few years.

For beginners I can really recommend it.

1 Like

I read the reviews and agree with the hard winds. The first night on the GR20 I put the tent sideways, where the wind was blowing on the side and this wasn’t really pleasant. I also thought the tent would collapse or crack, but it held. I think it is important to put the nose of the tent against the wind/rain.

For me, it was the ultra-light (~1kg) that made me pick this one. Sure there are better options around!

Most often I use the REI Co-op Quarter Dome 2. I love it for backpacking (even by myself) and it’s performed well in several big storms in the Rocky Mountains. If I’m doing a group trip for 3+, we often use the Seek Outside Cimmeron Tipi tent. That one also allows for the use of a mini titanium stove.

1 Like

That Quechua tent has exceeded my expectations! I have a Big Agnes Copper Spur back in the US, but during covid I’ve been in Israel and wanted to do Israel’s through hiking trail. So I needed a set of gear that wouldn’t break the bank, was locally available (Decathlon), and wasn’t junk. That Quechua tent is sturdy, even in high wind, made of surprisingly good materials, and weighs 2kg. About half the price of a Big Agnes.

1 Like

I bit the bullet and ordered myself the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1. Excited to try it out this spring :slight_smile:

That Quechua tent looks like a great option! I did consider it but really wanted to get a lighter tent that I could use for a few years.